I woke up this morning to little feet running up the hall to my room. They had shoes on, and the first thoughts, out of my stupor, was “how would get shoes on if I hadn’t gotten up yet?” Once awake enough to roll over, I saw that Phil wasn’t in the bed. It was just about then that Keith made his way to my side of the bed…
“Mommy, wake up! Wake up, Mommy! You have to come downstairs! We have a SURPRISE!” I opened my eyes to see my handsome boy standing before me with excitement in his eyes. I sat up with the intention of fulfilling my son’s request, when he blurted out, “We got DONUTS!” He just
couldn’t wait to tell me that surprise! I walked out to the dining room to my 2 favorite treats, awaiting my arrival – a Toffee Nut Latte from Starbucks, and a maple bar. Clearly, not the healthiest of breakfast choices, but on my birthday, it was perfect!
The kids picked donuts with sprinkles, of course. And here they are showing them off. Even the hubby found himself lost in a maple bar. I can’t say that would have been true 13 years ago, but after all this time together, I have rubbed off on him. :-D
Chloe presented me with a dozen red roses. According to Daddy, she told him she wanted to get me roses when they got in the car to get the donuts. As he drove up the hill and turned right, Chloe started to freak out saying, “Daddy! This is the wrong way! We need to go that way to QFC!” That is where she wanted to get the flowers. And she knew how to get there! When they arrived, she walked right up and picked the bouquet she thought was mommy-worthy.
Once settled in to the day, we drove downtown to meet my family at the Portage Bay Cafe for lunch. It is a wonderful, airy place with organic, fresh grown food.
My mom, dad, brother & sister were there waiting for us. My mom wrapped a gift to match her outfit… (not planned), but my sister enjoyed pointing it out!! It was an immersion blender! YEAH!! I have been wanting a new one since my ancient one died. I use it all the time in the fall & winter to make yummy soups.
Phil graciously took the kids outside while the rest of us finished up. There was A LOT to watch and look out downtown. Cranes & building going on everywhere (ironic to me in the current economy). Regardless, the kids loved watching all the machinery and moving cranes.
My brother took the kids for the remainder of the day – kept them as cool and entertained while Phil and I had the day together.
After lunch, we went up and got pedicures! Yes, my husband enjoyed it. Clearly, he didn’t get his nailed painted, but he loved the soaking, the massage & the care. After that, we hit the theatre to see a movie. We are so movie-deprived, and chose the 2 1/2 hour Harry Potter movie. Finally, we headed down to Richmond Beach and enjoyed a dinner out on the deck at Hill’s. It was a lovely day, relaxing, carefree and quiet!
No comments:
Post a Comment