Friday, July 24

Beachy kinda day

Today was Chloe's last day at VBS. When we picked her up at noon, we decided to hit the beach, impromptu. It was such a lovely day, and I always have a blanket in the back of the car for stops such as this. We set up, had a little lunch, and I let the kids go off and play.
The tide was very low which makes for lots of combing and fun! I also had Keith's sand trucks handy, which is a MUST!
The kids wandered off under the ferry dock as the tide was low enough to do so. Seriously, if I had not followed them, they would have just stayed focused on the task - seeking, pick up, touching, exploring... they were so cute together. Chloe would find something, show it to Keith and then educate him on whatever she knew about it. I just followed them and took some pictures.

We found a bunch of gooey ducks under the sand and kept getting sprayed in the face by them! It's amazing how far they squirt up! Another young man, digging around under the pier, actually dug one up and showed it to us. We got to touch it before he put it back in the water/sand.

As we headed back toward our blanket headquarters, the kids got caught up playing with another group of young ones. They all had their swimsuits on and were prepared for the beach. The next thing I knew, Chloe had taken off her dress and was wading in her bloomers!

Keith found a bucket and started to put it to use, collecting things. We came across this starfish in the middle of the beach, still alive!






















Before we left, the kids waded until the tide came in. They were getting caught up in that newly wet sand and feet sucked in! They were covered head to toe with sand, and Keith even had it in his hair! Made for an interesting ride home as I didn't come with towels, extra clothes or anything! As soon as we walked in the door at home, I threw them in the shower and washed them down.
That was followed by a towel wrap on the couch, a show and a Popsicle... ah, the joys of summer!

No comments: