Since Chloe was born, if not before, I have been reluctant to expose her to anything "princess" or the stereotypical Disney princess ideas. This went to the extent that if we were handed down any clothes that had "princess" on them, we wouldn't put them on her. I just hated that girlie idea since it had such a pathetically, cheesy identity attached to it. Although I would
avoid exposing those ideas to her, we would never tell her they were
bad when & if they were to come up. In other words, we would let her
eat of the food, but wouldn't choose to
feed it to her ourselves.

All that to say that she has discovered the idea on her own. And we must let it run it's course. I am happy to say, however, that the idea did
not come from Disney or the marketing ideas of princess. She started to get into the color pink, which then led to "fancy" things (thanks to
Fancy Nancy), then into the idea of ballerinas, which finally led into the idea of a princess.

All THAT to say that because of her admiration for all things fancy, pink AND princess... I made her a princess hat. Yes it is my latest knitting/felting project. I knitted the hat, gave it a pink rim, and then felted it which gave it that stiff structure. I took Chloe to the fabric store and let her pick out a piece of fabric that we would then let flow out of the top. In good form, she chose the sheer pink fabric that would be PERFECT with her hat! Good Girl!! Finally, we got some "jewels" to glue around the brim to give it that extra special
sparkle that all things fancy should have. :-)
1 comment:
Love the princess hat... so unusual, so fun! Not just the princess crown that is so expected.
You are so innovative!
We had a similar experience with Troy... not introducing him to the teenage mutant ninja turtles which were so big when he was little. Doesn't seem like a biggie now, but at the time, we just didn't care for the over all message.
And yes, he found them on his own, got into them for a while, and it passed.
Alas, Biker Mice from Mars was next!
Post a Comment