Monday, August 16

Summer Dinner with the “Girls”

This entry has two parts.  First, the important stuff…

IMG_8041IMG_8061Michelle has been house/garden/chicken-sitting for some friends of hers that have been gone for 9 weeks this summer.  They have this really cool house in North Seattle with a spacious yard and a great garden.  All the things that Michelle loves!  Last Sunday evening, she invited Denise and I to join her for a girls night so she could cook us some dinner and we could catch up on the 2nd season of Sex and The City – a ritual we have begun, season by season.

IMG_8065The menu…caprese salad with fresh tomatoes from the garden, rubbed flank, potatoes and green beans, and for dessert – AHHH – she made homemade honey ice-cream with grilled peaches.

  IMG_8073

IMG_8067

Of course, every stage held a bottle of wine!  Why wouldn’t it?

We enjoyed a bottle of Angel from Guardian Cellars – purchased the week before at the release.  Then we corked a bottle of 2004 Syrah from Woodward Canyon.

IMG_8070

The 2nd part of this is that while there on the property, I fell in love  with the chickens!  We chatted a bit about the coop, the ritual with the chickens every day, and the benefits of having a coop in your yard.  I WANT ONE!

I came home and told Phil about it, and we are really moving forward with considering it for next year.  We have some research to do on our city, where in our yard would be best, and the price of building a coop.  But we are an animal family and we think that raising them would be great for the kids.  And then the egg collection everyday would be awesome.  We EAT eggs, I bake, etc.  And they really aren’t high maintenance in the least.  So I am excited at the prospect.  I took some pictures of their coop while I was there so i could show Phil…

   IMG_8042

It’s about 10’x8’ or so.  And our backyard is plenty big enough for something like that.

IMG_8044

Th

They have some awesome touches like an antique window they found at a garage sale, and some tiles around the house door from Mexico.  But all that is something that can be done to personal preference.  I loved their touches.  And here are the girls….

IMG_8043

They have 6 chickens, and they are all named after women in Lee’s family (mothers, grandmothers, aunts, etc.)  So we have a Felina, a Barbara, etc.  LOVE IT!  And here is Michelle feeding her girls some treats!  So sweet….

  IMG_8054

No comments: