Before I ever met Phil, I started a ritual of a weekend retreat in
Port Townsend. Ironically, it started with the breakup of a boyfriend, and some much needed time "away" at the time - that was 14 years ago. And once I met Phil and got married, the ritual continued as I use it as a time of reflection, a time to journal, a time to pray & study, a time to sleep, and just random time to myself (knit, eat meals, read magazines, etc). My tradition, I always go the last weekend in January, and I always stay at
The James House Bed & Breakfast on the bluff overlooking the water.

I take the ferry over, listen to music (usually very loud since I never get to listen to MY MUSIC LOUD with the kiddos in the car), and enjoy the beautiful jaunt over to the peninsula. I usually hit the little antique mall in town and walk around. I used to try and find an English teacup to purchase every year as I was building up my collection. But now my collection is sufficient, so I just browse and look at the fun stuff. This year, I purchased a cool antique button to finish off a knitted purse that I just felted.

I then check in to my B&B, get settled in my room, lay down for a short nap, and then enjoy a meal that evening as a local restaurant. That is when the journaling begins. In the past I have always stayed ONE night. And this being the 9th year I've done this (as I took a few years off of the tradition around the births of my babies), I chose to stay 2 nights this year. Whew hoo!! This allowed me some good napping time, more journaling (really needed it this year), and even a matinee movie on that day in between! And THAT, my friend, is VERY RARE!
Here is my room...

A reading nook by the top window.

My little electric fireplace (a real one is down in the living room)
A view of my bedroom & bathroom...

And a view of my view! These windows look out onto the water.
That day in between also invited a little shopping (a new journal & a new sweater), along with lunch at a very memorable spot... more on that here...
Phil and I got married in THIS church in Port Gamble (on the peninsula).
I get to drive by it every time I go away to Port Townsend. Isn't that sweet??

We had our reception in Port Ludlow, on the other side of the Hood Canal Bridge. After our reception, we departed to catch the Port Townsend ferry to Whidbey Island where we stayed on the first night of our honeymoon. When we arrived in Pt Townsend, we missed the ferry by about 2 minutes. The wait for the next one was 1 1/2 hours or so! We were STARVING because you know you never eat at your own reception - too busy talking and greeting everyone. SO... we parked the car in line at the ferry dock, and walked through town, on our full bridal gown & tux, hand in hand, to look for a bite to eat. On the other side of downtown was a little soda fountain place. Perfect! We went in, sat at the counter, and shared a glass of milk (2 straws) and a BLT. You can only imagine the looks, the honks from the cars, and the comments we got as we walked along as bride & groom - literally! So here it is... our soda fountain. I had lunch there by myself and took a pic. Note, it was the day of the Super Bowl so the place, the town, was E-M-P-T-Y. Who would have thought that people in Port Townsend would be interested in the Super Bowl!?!

Anyway, here is the sunset on the eve before I left. I had a nice study & prayer time in the nook by the window, sipping tea, and enjoying the view. I am always so thankful that my husband allows me this time to get away and reflect. I always feel that I come home a better wife & mother for it.
3 comments:
sounds like a beautiful time. love the picture of your reading nook. the lighting is awesome!
The church you were married in is so cute! That's wonderful to get some time away to reflect, what a blessing for you.
I love to hear about this trip every year - I'm so envious of this trip of yours, but know you need the alone time more than me, LOL!! Love you sis!
Post a Comment