Thursday, February 4

Mommy’s Annual Retreat

For the past decade I have taken an annual trip to Port Townsend on the last weekend of January – same time every year.  I always stayed at The James House.  But last fall, I got the news… the news that after 35 years as a Bed & Breakfast they went back to a private residence.  My first thought was WHO could possibly need that house as a private residence?!  It is enormous!!  But then the reality of that hit me… that was it… it was over… not more stays in a place that I almost felt was a 2nd home.  So I faced a new challenge - finding a new place for my annual retreat.

At the time, that challenge was sad as I loved my previous spot, and always will.  But as this retreat time came closer, I realized that it was a timely change.  This year (2009) had been particularly difficult on many levels.  Part of that was spiritual growth.  And this year held some maturity and change that leads me into the new year with a sense of new beginning – REALLY – a new beginning.  So with that, I changed my attitude about this change.

IMG_6729I found a bed & breakfast called The Green Cat.  It is located north of Poulsbo, in a fairly remote area, way off the main highway.  Ironically, it is a slightly closer than Port Townsend, but still in the same area – an area that takes me past the church I got married in.  I love that part of my retreats.  It is a good reminder, yearly, to drive by that special spot.

IMG_6738

Driving up to the property, I noticed some fun things in the garden and snapped a few shots of them.

This silly tree with pottery face pieces attached to it.

IMG_6732

 

 

 

Then there was this enormous “ball of yarn” made with stick and branches.  Pretty cool up close.  And it was HUGE!

IMG_6748

My room was located on the 4th floor (top) of the house.  I had the “Green Gables” room, and had the entire floor to myself.  One of the reasons I choose to go away this time of year is that most B&Bs are slow and there is much privacy to be had!  I like the peace and quiet, and intimate interaction with those few other travelers that come around.

 

IMG_6742IMG_6743

 

 

 

 

 

My room had a WONDERFUL day bed in the window.  It overlooked some of their property, and this is where I spent much of my time.  I felt like one of the cats that lived in the house..I just curled up in the window.  They had a big down comforter for a blanket in the room.  I could curl up under that, read my books, knit, nap…  there was no need to go anywhere or do anything else!!

IMG_6753

IMG_6759

I adopted one of the stuffies I found in another room on my floor.  It was Shawn the Sheep.  My kids (and I) LOVE the Shawn the Sheep shorts on Disney in the morning.  And having this little guy in my room IMG_6765made me feel a bit closer to my kids.

The decor around the house held the theme of cats (of course).  There were also A LOT of books as the inn owners were big readers and travelers.  Every room had its own little them. 

One of my favorite spots, outside of my room, was the reading corner on my floor.  The chair was super comfy, and it had a little Cheshire Cat that sat on the back of it.  IMG_6750

IMG_6760

Finally, there were 3 cats that lived on the premises.  There were doors that would keep them out of the top 2 floors, so no worries.  But with my permission, I allowed them up in my room.  They would cuddle on my comforter, play with my yarn, and talk to me.  I miss having a cat.  I had one for a .LONG. time (19 years).  When she passed away, I never got another one.  If allergies weren’t such an issue, I would consider getting one for our family.  But for now, we are happy as clams with our little pooch.

IMG_6767

IMG_6769

IMG_6770

No comments: